Monday, January 12, 2009

2

For the past year or so I've had Robert Frost's poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" in the back of my mind. I wrote down the poem sometime last year and but often find myself returning to it. I know the poem, it's only 7 or 8 lines long, but for some reason seeing the words written on paper gives them another dimension and feel like it helps to actually see them. It's a good poem to reference simply because it makes you feel better once things you care about are gone. Not to say that I'm always losing the good things, but every now and then some thing slips away and I have to let it go with some level of understanding.

Of course sometimes that "level of understanding" is rather low, but existent nonetheless. It becomes easier to look back on things when you can say to yourself "you know what? Those things were wonderful, but they were never meant to last." It's a romantic approach, I know, but sometimes you just have to be easy on yourself. I give myself shit all the time and it's nice to let myself off the hook every once awhile and shake off the situation as an act of fate. Basically, it makes me feel better and it's good to feel better.

No comments: