Thursday, July 29, 2010

All I can think about recently is the night last summer when my family and I slept under the stars in the middle of a field in Zion National Park. Let me tell you, there is absolutely nothing like the deafening roar of silence you hear in the wilderness. Staring at thousands of stars, stationary and shooting. Just in your sleeping bag. Gets ungodly hot during the day but chilly at night. The smell of wet grass surrounding you in the morning. Ohhh so good. I wish I was back there right now.

I've spend a fair amount of time in national parks in the west (California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada) and I haven't found anything more satisfying than being completely isolated from everything I've ever known.

Even more of a sign that I need to move out there sometime soon. Oregon might be a little ways off, but a 5 hour bus ride for some national park'n would beat a 3.5 hour flight with 8 hours of drive time any day.

1 comment:

Ashley Smith said...

Next time you go, take me plz.